Tuesday 3 September 2013

ProFriends: Great Classics for Movie Nights at Home


I am no movie expert but I do enjoy watching lots of them. It’s mind-blowing to watch a great storytelling, acting, effects, and plot. My mother, sister, and I love watching movies at home. We used to rent at Video City (it still exists) since buying pirated would be a bit pricier and CDs would just add to the house clutter. Downloading takes ages; I have no patience for it.

But now that we have moved to Lancaster New City (ProFriends or Property Company of Friends Inc.), we can’t rent at Video City anymore. I just copy from a friend who downloads (lol I shouldn’t have said that). Anyway, after watching so much, I thought of sharing to you guys my list for great classics in various genres. If you haven’t seen some on this list, I highly recommend you do!

Comedy

















There’s Something About Mary is a hard-to-miss classic starring the lovely Cameron Diaz and ever-amazing Ben Stiller. I think The Carpenters’ Closer To You became more popular thanks to this funny 90s film. Even Cameron Diaz’s The Sweetest Thing is funny and straight-up funny.

Romance

















Okay, many claim it’s Casablanca and yes it was VERY romantic. But I enjoyed My Fair Lady more. I like Audrey Hepburn films; they’re very tasteful. It’s a Cinderella-type story template and yes, it’s been used so many times but hey! Just watch the damn thing!

Romantic-Comedy

















Some Like It Hot is funny and of course, romantic. Marilyn Monroe’s in it so would surely acquire anyone’s curiosity (like mine). And it was a good choice, I really enjoyed this romance-comedy classic! The two cross-dressing actors reminded me of the two protagonists of White Chicks.

Family

















It’s a Wonderful Life is a really feel-good movie that every family would enjoy. It’s very heartwarming and inspiring. I wouldn’t mind watching it over and over again. The angel character may seem a bit comical but I it did not bother me that much since I focused on the morals and happy ending.

Action

















Lethal Weapon is my bet. Yes, ConAir, DieHard, and Terminator were good but Lethal Weapon appeals to my taste more. Paired cops as protagonists in action films became a thing thanks to this film. Apart from the usual explosions, effects, quick dialogue, and chase in action films, the character play is especially great in this classic. It’s a very engaging movie.

Suspense-Thriller

















Rear Window is not your typical very suspenseful film that’s very popular these days when it comes to this genre. This is more of a who-done-it suspense film directed by the famous Alfred Hitchcock. It’s about an injured photographer who has nothing to do but recover in his apartment and watch neighbors in the adjacent apartment building through his window using binoculars and telephoto lens. He suspects that a man in one of the windows he watches killed his wife and the protagonist tries to uncover the truth. This classic has inspired new movies today especially Disturbia (released 2007 starring Shia LeBeouf).

Horror

















Hands-down, the ultimate classic horror to beat is The Exorcist. Possession, demons, barf, and “based on a true story” elements make it a number one horror classic. Even children today and the generations afterwards would be scared. I am in my twenties and I am still scared whenever I re-watch this film. It’s old but gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment